Monday, September 29, 2008

Oh no they didn't...

Yesterday, as I was taking a study break, I mindlessly jumped to my celebrity gossip page to get my daily fix of what our precious celebs gloriously have done today. In doing so, I click on a recent entry in which one of the members decided to post an entry on a recent Japanese cover of the 30 hottest men in Japan.

Despite my personal opinion of many of these boys looking a little too girly (which of course, is only culturally defined by American society because obviously Japanese culture thinks this sort of look for men is very masculine.), I was thoroughly impressed by the fact that someone felt it necessary to blog about asian celebs. Although I knew there really wasn't anything wrong with an Asian celebrity blog, it felt odd for me to see it... which I guess means something seeing that I AM Asian.

Apparently, for many of the other readers of the site, having pictures of 30 asian celebrities splashed onto the usual white-dominant celebrity site was absolutely ludicrous, seeing that they posted comments like "Disney > any Asian person," or "Thats a hell of a lot of asians..." And so this had me pondering what exactly about having Asian celebrities on this celebrity site is so "off"? Is it because they're from another country? Maybe the fact that the entry was about a foreign population was what was so "weird" for people... but that wasn't it, the celebrity site has TONS of new entries about models and celebrities from England, France, Spain, whatever.

How come people
don't complain when they see a bunch of white celebrities in a post? Where are the, "Gee, that's a whole lotta white people" comments? Why is the fact that having simply 30 asian faces in one blog suddenly "a lot" when the whole site is filled with white faces and in a sense, "never enough."

The thing is: wake up call! America is filled with Asians, Blacks, Latinos, etc. Our celebrities should reflect our demographics. Why is having more than just one token minority suddenly "too much"?

Well, that's not very cool, is it?

2 comments:

Jeff said...

agreeeed

aeriin said...

eh, people are ignorant and tend to complain about what they're not used to :/